Recently, I received a nomination from a sharp guy named Nick on this blog for the Liebster Award.
I had no idea what that is, so I just kind of sat on it, grateful, awaiting whatever would come of it. Then I looked it up.
We use the term “nomination” as though there are authorities out there on the Interwebz who are going to come look and make a solemn gesture of approval, thereby formally blessing us with the award.
Nah, it’s just one blogger to another, saying, “hey, I like what you’re doing over there, and I wanted to call attention to your blog. How about you do the same, but for other people? Pay it forward, and all that.”
Ah, yes, there is the matter of some Q&A first. The way this particular Liebster goes is that I must post random facts about me, answer Nick’s questions, and then post blogs that I deem worthy:
First, the facts about me.
- I play piano really well, but I can barely read music. I can pick out the notes, but not the tempo. I have to hear a song to know how it is meant to be played, and I’m secretly jealous of those virtuosos who can take a piece of sheet music and start playing it with ease.
- My wife is one of those virtuosos, and she plays the violin.
- Before joining the military and going to Air Force basic training a “few” years ago, I had mostly gone no further than about 3 hours drive time from my home in Chicago, Illinois.
- I once was almost two hours late to a date with my then-girlfriend-now-wife because of a video game.
- My wife once held my video games for ransom.
- When we knew we were having a son, I immediately thought about the name Jonathan, because my parents had named me after David in the Bible. I thought the name might symbolize a desire for a close-knit relationship with my son like David and Jonathan had in Scripture.
- I am ridiculously picky. I hate trying new things. I’m probably the kid who said, “I’ve never tasted that, but I know I hate it, because I looked at it and it’s gross.”
- Though I am still a coffee fiend, I was once so addicted that I would fall asleep if I did not make a pot of coffee after work.
- My gravatar picture was taken at a hotel balcony at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, when I was arranging surgery while stationed on Okinawa.
- Other than Illinois and Indiana, I’ve never been in any states east of the Mississippi River. On the other hand, I’m 99% sure I’ve driven through or lived in every state west of the Mississippi.
- I used to memorize Garfield jokes and tell them every day to my 5th grade teacher.
Nick’s questions for me are:
- What is your favorite candy/sweet treat? Jelly Bellies win, hands down. Juicy Pear is the best.
- Where is the farthest from home you have ever traveled? I believe my trip to the Middle East with the military was about as far from home as I could get on planet Earth. Okinawa is still a good distance away from Chicago as well.
- Name one book that you have read at least twice. The Lord of the Rings.
- Breakfast, lunch, or dinner – which is your favorite meal? I like all of them. I can eat dinner for breakfast, and breakfast for dinner, and pretty much mix and match. In fact, I have fond memories of Midnight Chow at the dining facility when I was single, because they had breakfast, lunch, AND dinner available. I could get a little of everything.
- What modern “convenience” would you gladly do without? I resisted getting a cell phone until a year ago. I hated the prospect of being available for work at any time, and I feared becoming like everyone else checking their phones all day. I admit, I am glad I gave in. That doesn’t really answer the question, so… we do without TV. We get what we want through Hulu, Netflix, and iTunes.
- Which is your favorite holiday? Christmas. I love a good meal, and the joy of the kids with their presents.
- How long has it been since you climbed a tree? Many many moons.
- Have you ever had an unusual or exotic pet? Our rabbit is unusual for us, but I’m not sure that really qualifies. I’ve also had a variety of sea creatures, but nothing you can’t get in the average pet store.
- What sports or games do you participate in? I was a Spin/indoor cycling instructor for a few years and still love that. I don’t do formal sports but I enjoy cardio exercise a lot. Shameless plug for my fitness blog here. I also love playing tabletop RPGs.
- What movie have you seen more than five times? Serenity because it’s amazing.
- What place in the world would you most like to visit? My wife really wants to go to Ireland at some point, and I’ve flown through there twice. It looks amazing, and I’d love to spend some time with her enjoying it as a vacation.
The award works by paying it forward, so I’ve made a list of 11 blogs I deemed worthy of greater attention.
If you do accept:
- post the award on your blog
- credit me and/or others for nominating you
- write 11 random facts about yourself
- Answer my 11 questions
- Post links to 11 nominees you choose, blogs with 200 followers or less*
- Ask them 11 questions (and probably provide some of this information)
*if you have more than 200, my apologies. I may have misunderstood what was visible on your site. But you’re still worthy of awards!
My nominees, with a brief description of why:
- Stuff BQ Knows – politics, history, and a generally unique point of view from a co-worker of mine.
- Things to Adore – A mom’s experience maturing and raising her lovely young children
- Jemtree – a military mom and home educator, sharing her experiences and life lessons
- The Encouraging Scribe – because who doesn’t need some encouragement and fiction now and then?
- A Writer Inspired – I’ve found this blog to be joyful and passionate about the craft of writing.
- Livin’ Out Loud 4 Jesus – A friend of mine from WordSowers, currently blogging about the joys of moving.
- Angela D. Meyer – Another published WordSowers friend who is about to publish a novel
- Irreverenture – probably BQ’s polar opposite, a blog with some politics, culture, and the start of a new post-apocalyptic tale
- Growing in a Shrinking Culture – Great insights on motherhood and spirituality
- Joe Seeber – Warm and moving material that makes me want to live as the best “me” I can be
- Faith Laces – awesome fitness blog that challenges me to do better with my own exercise routine
If you nominees are willing to play along, then here are the questions I have for you:
(Full disclosure, they’re exactly the same on both of my Liebster posts, so you only need to answer once.)
- What’s your favorite meal?
- Have you ever broken a bone, and if so, how?
- What is the most interesting place (preferably a foreign country) you’ve visited?
- Who do you look up to as a writer?
- What other hobbies are you passionate about?
- What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
- Traveling by yourself – no rush – do you take a road trip or air flight, and why?
- What’s the last good book you read?
- Do you play a musical instrument or sing?
- What “clique” did you fit into in high school? (i.e. jocks, nerds, cheerleaders, gearheads, rockers, school band)
- What’s your favorite motivational quote or thought?
Thanks so much for playing along!